Saturday, September 25, 2010

Ms Blue Pea

I was surprised to see a gorgeous flower peeking under the leaves of the Clitoria ternatea, commonly known as the butterfly or blue pea plant.

After I got rid of the bittergourd plants, I sowed some blue pea seeds that I had gathered from the wild vines growing around our estate. I don't really buy alot of plants from nurseries. Most of those in my garden are grown from seeds or propagated from stem cuttings.

To my delight, the blue pea plant, being a quick grower, started creeping up the trellis faster than I had expected. The deep blue flowers are used locally as a food dye. My friend's mum colours her nonya kuey and dumplings using the flowers in their garden. I'm not good at making kueh, so I'll just leave the flowers on the vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment