Monday, September 6, 2010

Hello Yam!!

Say 'Hello' to my yam! Recently I bought half a piece of yam (taro) from the market. I sliced the top off and covered it in a thin layer of soil instead of discarding it. I wasn't sure if it was going to work but shoots started appearing not long after. Now there are several big round leaves.

Yam plants thrive in the shade and they need a long growing time (around 6 months) to produce tubers. I've planted in a deep pot to give it room for growth. Hopefully, I will get to eat yam by February next year.

The sweet corn in my styrofoam box have all germinated. While some of the leaves appear to have been chewed off, I've scattered a pellet like soil to discourage the snails from sneaking in. The other thorny sticks in the box are 'kau kay choi' (Lycium chinense) - a vegetable with soft, oval and slightly bitter leaves. Apparently it's a herb with cooling properties. My family loves it, so I'm trying to grow some in my garden.

7 comments:

  1. I like your idea of growing this yam plant and probably I'm going to try this method. The yam leaves looks very exotic which is a bonus in addition to the food it provides. Kau Kay is my fave vege, stir fried or in soups. That's how I grow kow kay too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn Belle - Yes, I have yam growing here and there in my garden. Love the foliage!

    Oh, do you get lots of kau kay this way? I grew some once and they never really produced any leaves. I thought maybe the soil was too compact, so I am trying again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Blur Ting, Just discovered your interesting blog. Your yam looks good. Hi, Yam! Mine is barely growing. They are under the hot sun. I didn't know they prefer shade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ting, you always try out new things in your garden. A source of inspiration for me to venture out of my square box!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi One! Is that a red passiflora I see? We used to have one of those in the garden. The flowers are gorgeous!

    Yup, yam prefers shady areas. They actually grow wild in the dense tropical jungles where conditions are wet and dim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JC - I find it a waste to throw seeds or stems away, so I try to grow them whenever I can. Sometimes they flourish but sometimes, they just die!

    ReplyDelete