Saturday, September 25, 2010

Corn

When I bought a pack of sweet jean corn kernels, I sowed some in the school garden and gave the rest to my father.

The ones at my father's front yard are big and strong, each plant producing ears of corn.

My father has the greenest thumb. Everything in his garden is extra lush, extra large and productive. Maybe it has something to do with the way he prepares the land for growing.

The corn that I am growing in the school yard (below) are small in comparison to my dad's. I blame it on the poor soil condition. The school is built on reclaimed land afterall, and each time we dig into the compact ground, we find pieces of tiles, granite and bricks buried inside. It's no wonder the plants there don't do so well.

Though they were grown at the same time, I don't see any ears of corn developing yet. I've been fertilising diligently. I don't think there is anything else I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment